Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Merging Board Games and Electronics

A group at Queen's University in Canada is taking some serious steps towards merging board gaming with electronics to produce a compelling potential experience. See the demonstration below.



This isn't the first time anyone's thought about board games including an electronic component (Space Alert has a fun CD audio element, for example) but it's certainly the most interesting and cutting edge implementation I've seen, and it looks like it would be SO MUCH fun to play.

What kills me is, these guys were demonstrating the technology at MIT yesterday. If I'd only known, I could have interviewed them, and since I've already got a lot of discussion about board games on tech platforms like the iPhone or XBox, it would have been a nice addition.

2 comments:

  1. Dark Tower was my favorite board game with an electronic component....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Tower_%28game%29

    ReplyDelete